Dr. Charles S. Schumacher, Jr.
Covington Orthopedic Sports Medicine Institute is proud to welcome our new hip and knee specialist, Charles S. Schumacher, M.D.
Dr. Schumacher is a fellowship-trained, board-eligible Orthopedic Surgeon specializing in hip and knee surgery. He earned his medical degree from the LSU Health Sciences Center. Dr. Schumacher went on to complete a General Surgery Internship and Orthopedic Residency from the Harvard Combined Orthopedic Residency Program at Massachusetts General Hospital, where he was Chief Resident. He also did a Traveling Hip Fellowship in Zürich, Switzerland. Following his residency, Dr. Schumacher completed a Fellowship in Joint Replacement and Reconstruction at Stanford University in California.
Originally from Crowley, LA, Charles (Chase) Schumacher, M.D. retains strong ties to South Louisiana. He is excited to return home and to bring his expertise in hip and knee reconstruction and revision to the Northshore.
Conditions & Injuries Treated Include:
- Stress fractures
- Hip Dysplasia
- Meniscus Tears
- Labral tears
- Lower Extremity Musculoskeletal Trauma
- Femoroacetabular Impingement (FAI)
- Iliopsoas Tendonitis & Snapping Hip
- Cartilage & Osteochondral Injury
- Failed Arthroplasty/Replacement
Surgical Procedures Include:
- Knee Arthroscopy
- Partial Knee Replacements
- Knee Reconstruction & Replacement
- Complex Total Knee Revisions
- Tendon Repair and Reconstruction
- Hip Arthroscopy
- Hip Preservation/Osteotomies
- Total Hip Arthroplasty
- Complex Hip Reconstruction & Revision
University of Louisiana
B.S. in Biological Sciences, May 2007; summa cum laude
Member of Honors College
Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center
New Orleans, Louisiana
Stanford Joint Replacement/Adult Reconstruction Fellowship
Redwood City, California
Harvard Combined Orthopaedic Residency Program
Chief Resident MGH Orthopaedic Surgery 2015-2016
Massachusetts General Hospital General Surgery Internship
Switzerland Hip Fellowship
Dr. med. Michael Leunig, Schulthess Klinik, Zurich, CH
Prof. Dr. med. Martin Beck, Luzerner Kantonsspital, Luzern, CH
Prof. Dr. med. Klaus A. Siebenrock, Iselspital University of Bern, Bern CH
Clinical Observership in Hip Surgery
Marc Philippon, MD, Steadman Clinic Vail, CO.
FACULTY ACADEMIC APPOINTMENTS
Stanford University School of Medicine
Clinical Instructor, Clinician Educator Line, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
- American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Massachusetts Medical Society
- Louisiana Orthopaedic Association
- American Medical Association
Partners Healthcare Graduate Medical Education Health Policy Course
Certificate in Health Policy
Harvard Business School
2015 Value-Based Health Care Delivery Intensive Seminar
Harvard Business School
2016 Healthcare Conference
- M. Menendez, C. Schumacher, D. Ring, A. Freiberg, H. Rubash, Y.M. Kwon. “Does “6-Clicks” Day 1 Postoperative Mobility Score Predict Discharge Disposition after Total Hip and Knee Arthroplasty?” J Arthroplasty. 2016 Feb 17. PMID: 26993155
- M. Menendez, E. Greber, C. Schumacher, C.L. Barnes. “Predictors of Acute Ischemic Stroke After Total Knee Arthroplasty.” In press, J Surg Orthop Adv.
- Dafang Zhang, Charles S. Schumacher, Mitchel B. Harris. “The Quality and Readability of Internet Information Regarding Clavicle Fractures.” J Orthop Sci. 2016 Jan 13. PMID: 26775060
- Zhang D, Schumacher CS, Harris MB, Bono CM. 2015. “The Quality and Readability of Information Available on the Internet Regarding Lumbar Fusion.” Global Spine J. 2016 Mar. PMID: 26933614
- M. Riedel, C. Schumacher, A. Hess, M. Weaver, J. Kwon. “Seasonal Incidence of Lower Extremity Fractures.” In-progress.
- C. Schumacher, M. Menendez, A. Freiberg, D. Ring, H. Rubash. “Opioid Utilization after Total Knee and Hip Arthroplasty.” In-progress.
- C. Schumacher. “The Quality and Readability of Information Available on the Internet Regarding Clavicle Fractures.” Harvard Orthopaedic Trauma Research Day Presentation. Boston (MA). June 5, 2015.
- T. Ajayi, B. Atwood, A. Marshal, C. Schumacher. “Healthcare Workforce. Health policy presentation.” Partners Healthcare Graduate Medical Education Health Policy Course. Boston (MA). April 18, 2014.
- C. Schumacher. “Evolution of Total Hip Arthroplasty.” UNIBE Medical School, Santa Domingo (DR). March 23, 2014.
- M. Menendez, E. Greber, C. Schumacher, C.L. Barnes. “Predictors of Acute Ischemic Stroke After Total Knee Arthroplasty.” AAOS 2016 Annual Meeting, Orlando (FL). (Podium presentation)
- M. Menendez, C. Schumacher, D. Ring, A. Freiberg, H. Rubash, Y.M. Kwon. “Does “6-Clicks” Day 1 Postoperative Mobility Score Predict Discharge Disposition after Total Hip and Knee Arthroplasty?” AAHKS 2015 Annual Meeting. Dallas (TX). (Poster presentation)
- C. Schumacher, M. Menendez, A. Freiberg, D. Ring, H. Rubash. “Opioid Utilization after Total Knee and Hip Arthroplasty.” Massachusetts General Hospital Clinical Research Day 2015. Boston (MA). (Poster presentation)
- Dafang Zhang, Charles S. Schumacher, Mitchel B. Harris. “The Quality and Readability of Internet Information Regarding Clavicle Fractures.” Brigham and Women’s Hospital Clinical Research Day 2014. Boston (MA). (Poster presentation)
- Charles S. Schumacher. “Peri-Operative Infection Control in Orthopaedics.” Louisiana State University Department of Orthopaedics, New Orleans (LA). 2010